Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
October 8: Character Traits I Love (submitted by Hannah @ Books Life and Other Oddities)
- Unreliable: I live for the unreliable narrator. You don’t really know who to trust or what to believe. It leaves you wondering what’s going to happen or what’s being left out. Some of my favorite examples of unreliable narrators are from Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
- Malicious- When it’s done well, a character full of malice is life. I like the character getting revenge on those who did them wrong and having no regrets. I understand karma will catch up with them, but the moment is so sweet, I savor it until it’s over. Acrimony, the Tyler Perry movie, does this well. Of course the revenge doesn’t even well for her, but I enjoyed her dark descent down that road.
- Blunt- I don’t have a filter… I just say whatever comes to mind. This is a trait I enjoy in characters. I believe my reasoning for enjoying it so much is because there’s just something so scrumptious about a blunt character just swooping in and knocking everyone back to reality.
- Cunning- By any means necessary. I love characters who will do whatever it takes to get what they want. Lying, stealing, all the bad things. Victor from Vicious does this well. He’s the bad guy, and he will not stop until he’s achieved the end to his means.
- Obsessive- I’m someone who gets like way obsessed with things, where they consume me whole. A character who does the same just lights a fire in my soul. Joe from You. A terrible person, but his character is so interesting. His level of obsession is intense, and it makes for an unforgettable experience while reading.
I’d love to hear about your favorite character traits, be them negative or positive. Let me know below.
Until I rant about books again,