I want to thank Destiny over at Howling Libraries for having a great discussion post which made me really think about how I want to handle my blog and enjoy it. This was an issue I have been having the last few days, and I am thankful to some other people as well. So, check out the post that helped me out a lot.
The other thing which helped me was a comment from A Voracious Reader on Twitter. I said I did not know what to do about my blog and this is what she said:
This also really helped me out. I realize I do love my blog, and I am going to keep doing it to have fun. Instead of complaining and being negative, I am going to do what I can enjoy this blog because it is a passion of mine. I have said a lot of times I was going to do this for fun, and I am going to listen to what I had been saying the whole time. Let’s talk about my plans for this blog:
I think about my blog all of the time, but I think I tend to be too hard on myself. I think I should be like this person or that. I should write reviews this way or do that. When I should just be having fun. I am like why am I not like this person or that, too. Because they put work into their blog and have a passion for it, that is why. I want to be the same way, but I need to do it on my own terms. I do not need to take a break and avoid my blog, I need to approach it in my own way and have fun like I have been wanting to for so long.
When I started, I would do those memes. They were fun, but they became work. I know I am not going to be doing those. I have been tagged to do things, but sometimes I do not want to do those. It is a hard line to walk sometimes. I have fun when I write reviews and do blog tours and cover reveals. I also like doing the author q&as when I can. Those all are a lot of fun for me, and I think just making posts I like are fun. I have also thought about doing wrap ups and talking about books I really love. There are also the Facebook groups for books I am in, and it would be fun to talk about those as well. I have a lot of things I can talk about, I just need to actually do it.
I do not think I have a set schedule, but I will bring you reviews on books I am enjoying from NetGalley and publishers (because I have started to get books from publishers and it is awesome).
What else have I been working on?
I am slowly working on my list for NetGalley. It got a little out of hand, and I am doing my best to get it under control. I am currently at 95 books to read and 40 pending. I know this seems like a lot, but this is a good place for me to be. They are all books I want to read and review. Even though it may be a bit slow going, I am going to working on that review backlist and also the books I have been sent from the publisher as well.
I am not going to be accepting any more review requests for awhile. I have a lot of books, and I am sure there are some I have forgotten I need to be reading. The stress of too many books can be horrible, and I am trying my best to not lose all of my motivation to read. I do not have any full set idea of what I will do, but these are my tentative plans.
- Avoid requesting anymore books from NetGalley
- Decline any future review requests for now
- Stop using BookSirens and other sites, too many is killing me
- I do not plan to read any books I was asked to review before this year anymore
This makes me feel better about where I am, and I think I can do it with my Kindle and my voracious appetite for books. It means a lot of books I have had can just go, and I can focus on the books I really do want to read. This is a nice feeling.
I do not feel bad for doing this. Why not?
- I promote all of the books I get on Instagram and Twitter, these have around 2K between them. This means someone has seen these books and has maybe read them. I know it does not mean a lot, but at least I am doing something for the books?
- I do read all of the print copies I am sent, and I have been working on my eARCS. I am trying to avoid being tempted by my auto approvals and the emails I get for books to read. I just need to focus on what I have at the moment. I am sure when I am a librarian, this will be an issue again because then I will have all of the books. But I will come to that when it happens.
- I am not getting paid for this, and I need just focus on doing books I enjoy. Otherwise it will not work out. So why should I be freaking out when I am not being paid? I do work as a beta reader, and that pays me. But this review thing is free.
- I have a toddler and am in grad school. Life happens… I need to just enjoy the books I have and not stress about some of these review books anymore.
And that is what is going on with me.
That is all I have, and I hope this is a good thing I am doing for myself.
I will be posting reviews for the ARCS I am loving, but I do not think I will be talking about adding new ARCS or doing anything major for them. I am just going to work on the ones I have and try to get my ratio up someday. I am kind of hoping the ones I have pending will get declined, but we will see what happens.
I have been reading a lot more thrillers lately too. I will be possibly be doing a favorites for the year.